Is the love of tractors a family thing or just you?
Commissioned by AGCO, owners of Massey Ferguson, new Harry Ferguson artwork was unveiled to celebrate the production of more than 3.3 million Ferguson and Massey Ferguson tractors at the Banner Lane site in Tile Hill from 1946-2003.
Richard Markwell, vice-president and MD, Massey Ferguson, Europe, Africa, Middle East (EAME) presented the artwork to the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of the City of Coventry, Cllr Hazel Noonan. Also present were Andy Peters, managing director Persimmon Homes, South Midlands, re-developers of the site, and Ted Everett, Massey Ferguson’s longest-serving employee. They were joined by current and past AGGO and Massey Ferguson staff together with the Friends of Ferguson Heritage Club.
Six months in the making, the Massey Ferguson Harry Ferguson plaque was created by sculptor Jemma Pearson. At 2.1 metres (7 feet) in diameter, the artwork consists of a bronze plaque set on a granite base. Sculpted in bas-relief, the plaque depicts the first and last tractors to be manufactured at the Banner Lane plant and also incorporates a portrait of Harry Ferguson, co-founder of the Massey Ferguson brand and widely recognised as the pioneer of modern tractor design.
The date chosen for the unveiling of the artwork was 6 July, 2014, as this marked the date that the first tractor, Ferguson TE 20 No 1, left the assembly line 68 years ago. The last tractor – an MF 4345 – was produced in 2003. This machine was present at the unveiling, standing sentinel behind the plaque, while No 1 sits at the MF AGCO factory museum/ presentation at Beauvais, Northern France.